Media Release: Garden Route DM: Nineteen (19) youth being up-skilled for Food Handling
For Immediate Release
3 May 2021
Alderman Memory Booysen, Executive Mayor, and Ald. Rosina Ruiters, Deputy Executive Mayor for GRDM, recently visited nineteen (19) Cater Care students at the Francois Ferreira Academy (FFA) in George. Between the ages of 18 and 35, these students are currently busy studying a 3-month Food Handler Qualification (level 2). GRDM’s goal with this Programme is to address the high unemployment rate of South Africa and the Garden Route.
Alderman Memory Booysen also has a history of working in the hospitality industry and said: “The hospitality industry remains one of the key drivers of the Garden Route economy, and we will continue to fund these types of training initiatives to complement the industry”.
He further added: “The proof is in the pudding – we have supported the up-skilling of 82 youth since starting at this Council in 2016.”
“More than R1 million has been spent since 2016 on the Cater Care Programme,” Booysen said.
The Quality Council for Trades & Occupations (QCTO) accredited SAQA Course (110644) consists of the following subjects:
- Introduction to Professional Cookery
- Personal Safety
- Workplace Safety
- Food Safety
- Numeracy and Units of Measurement
- Preparation Methods
- Production Methods
In addition to the seven (7) modules, each student will be allowed the opportunity to gain in-service training at a restaurant or hotel for ten (10) days. After that, students will officially graduate by the end of May 2021.
Feature Image Caption: Ald. Memory Booysen is shown how to safely handle a knife when cutting vegetables. With him is Mr Lwandile Green (left), Ms Siyamthanda Mahe (2nd from right) and Chef Jean-Marie Basson from Francois Ferreira Academy.
- The Quality Council for Trades and Occupations (QCTO) is a Quality Council established in 2010 in terms of the Skills Development Act (Act 97 of 1998) as amended in 2008.
- The Department f Higher Education and Training (DHET) oversees this part of the National Qualifications Framework (NQF).
- The QCTO is one of three Quality Councils (QCs) responsible for a part of the National Qualifications Framework (NQF).