Garden Route District Municipality, in collaboration with Bitou and Oudtshoorn Municipalities, will roll out a Household Composting Pilot Project in the Bitou and Oudtshoorn municipal areas. Approximately 30% of household waste being disposed of at landfill consists of organic waste that could potentially be diverted from landfill by means of household composting. Further, household composting could subsequently result in a huge waste management cost saving and put sorely needed nutrients back into our soil.
The pilot project will run for the duration of one year and the data collected will be used to motivate the further roll out of the project to all households in the Bitou and Oudtshoorn municipal areas. Permanent residents in the Bitou and Oudtshoorn areas are invited to apply for participation in the pilot project.
It must be noted that provision was made to accommodate only thirty (30) households per municipality in the pilot project who will be provided with a composting bin, and / or a worm farm, a scale and data sheets. Due to the limited number, the first thirty applications per municipality received will be selected to participate in the project.
All applicants must conform to the following criteria:
- Must reside permanently in the Bitou or Oudtshoorn municipal areas for the duration of the pilot project (at least one year).
- Must attend an information session regarding the composting project that will be held in Bitou and in Oudtshoorn respectively. (This may be an online / virtual session due to the COVID-19 pandemic).
- Must be willing to participate in the pilot project and report organic waste quantities on a monthly basis for the duration of the pilot project (one year).
- Composting bins will only be distributed to households with a garden / lawn generating green waste.
- Households / apartments that do not have gardens / yards i.e. that generate green waste can be provided with only a worm farm for kitchen scraps etc.
Application forms to participate in the pilot project can be obtained from the following link: http://www.gardenroute.gov.za/document-category/application-forms/.
Completed application forms must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by no later than Friday 10 July 2020.
For any enquiries please contact Mr Wayne Odendaal on 044 693 0006.