A Severe Weather Alert was issued by the Cape Town Weather Office as follows:
Hazard: Heavy Rain
Alert Level: Watch
Valid From (SAST): 27/05/2019 – 16h00
Valid To (SAST): 27/05/2019 – 23h00
Area: Expected over the eastern mountainous regions of the Garden Route late afternoon today into the evening (Monday).
Description: Flooding / Heavy Rain
Flooding occurs when water overflows its normal channels such as streams and storm water drains. It can occur with prolonged period of rain, with continuous heavy falls or in the form of flash floods which are usually associated with severe thunderstorms. Heavy rain may also result in river flooding causing damage downstream to areas that may receive no rainfall at all during the flooding event.
Precautions: Flooding / Heavy Rain
- If possible stay indoors and off the roads, avoid crossing rivers and swollen streams where water is above your ankles.
- If trapped in flooding in a vehicle, abandon it and climb to higher ground. In buildings, move valuables to a safe place above the expected flood level.
- Switch off electricity at the supply point to the building.
- In rural areas protect/relocate animals to a safe place on higher ground. Abandon your home immediately if evacuation is recommended, before access is cut off by flood water.
- NEVER drive on a road covered by water. You do not know how deep it is or if the road has been washed away. If the vehicle stalls, leave it immediately and seek higher ground.
- Be especially cautious at night when it’s harder to recognize flood dangers.
- Listen to the radio or TV for warnings and obey the instructions from disaster management officers.
Report any incidents to the Garden Route DM Disaster Management Centre at: 044-805 5071